This week, I have been grateful for...
1. The delightful video above, link courtesy of the equally delightful Michael Nobbs. (P.S. If you haven't pre-ordered Michael's book, then you really should. Pronto!)
2. An entire morning to myself while my daughter had a sleep-over at my Mum and Dad's. Choosing to spend the morning listening to Anais Nin while cutting out and pasting images that delight me into my Smash journal. Likely my favourite pastime!
3. Two date nights this week! One of which included seeing Alabama Shakes live at The Forum. Simply breathtaking. And one to watch.
4. Discovering Mara Glaztel and developing a serious girl crush. That lass speaks right to me... and rocks my world.
5. My wonderful physio, who also happens to be my pilates/yoga teacher. After a week of serious discomfort in my lower back, I finally booked a one-on-one assessment (something I should have done early last year, when I started her weekly classes). She gave me a proper diagnosis -- and it’s not a dodgy disc, yay! -- and performed laser acupuncture, then prescribed some daily stretching and strengthening exercises. She also told me that I needed to love myself and enjoy my life more. Amen, sister.
6. Finally booking a man with a van to collect a beautiful big old desk from my husband’s work and bring it to our house. Then booking a hard waste collection to take my old rickety desk plus a big old fat television plus many years of assorted detritus from our spare room and shed to the recycling plant... and make way for a spacious new year for us! I cannot begin to tell you how happy this makes me.
7. This brilliant 2013 forecast from my longtime favourite astrologer.
8. A terrific full moon vision board date with my lovely friend Cathy, her fabulous partner Lou, and their sweet friend Stacey. Great food, lovely convo, lots of cutting and pasting. Sigh. Yeah.
9. Unexpected flashes of inspiration for my novel whilst at the museum with my little 'un. I must have looked like one of those horrid parents who moons around in the background, glued to the iPhone while their child explores on their own... but I was so keen to jot down notes while I remembered! Soon thereafter, I read Alex Franzen's piece about "vacation mind" and I couldn't help but agree.
10. Finishing up work for five months! My last two days were busy but satisfying; tying up loose ends and ensuring there is a decent paper trail so the lovely colleague who is covering for me can hit the ground running. Having coffee with my team and suddenly feeling a rush of affection: it surprises me to say that I am going to miss that pack of goofballs!
10. + 1 The very interesting experience of observing people's responses to a) my taking leave and b) my writing a novel. Receiving some unexpected but completely heartwarming messages from friends and colleagues I hardly know but think so fondly of. Also encountering some rather intense cases of envy, bordering on spite. I get that the latter is not about me but it was fascinating to observe. More on that soon...
I’m playing along with my sweet friend Maxabella’s 52 weeks of grateful challenge. I really love the way it encourages me to keep my eyes open for tiny moments to be grateful for, all week long. Be sure to stop by and add your gratefuls: the little community that Bron has fostered over there is absolutely gorgeous.